On 6th July Peter from Human Capital Department was invited to Kings Lynn Innovation Centre “Inkub8” event.
At the event Peter outlined what human capital department do, discussed business growth, and how “Inkub8” helps:
What do we do?
Why the name?
“Human Capital” is the new term for HR [Human Resources], although with more emphasis on data and analytics relating to people management and development, such as data relating to recruitment and retention of staff and using this to predict trends and support business objectives.
“Department” as we want to been seen by clients as part of their business, not an external consultancy
A client might approach us with a “problem employee” or “problem supervisor” – something has gone wrong and it needs to be resolved. Alternatively, organizations may want to check that their processes are complaint and adhere to the law and best practice – we can audit their HR processes and procedures and make recommendations for improvements. On the other hand, larger organizations may need what I call “HR Project” support. For example, HR Re-Structuring, Recruitment, Performance Management, Redundancy and so on.
What we offer:
- For smaller companies [SME’s] we offer a retained service – providing on-going support and advice on all aspects of HR and Training & Development for a small monthly fee.
- For larger companies we offer HR Project Support or any aspect of HR or Training and Development – providing extra resource and expertise to to meet the needs of HR departments.
- Our partnership with “Bright HR” means that we can offer low cost HR software [HRIS] enabling organizations to track, monitor and report on People Management matters, such as leave, and absence management.
Initially its was not about growth but business survival; sales needed to be balanced with cost constraint.
Key Initiates are:
- Bringing in co-director Rod Lee was necessary when the company won a major project in Oman.
- Purchase of a CRM [Client Relationship Management] tool, enabled us to track contacts and opportunities, and get a good sense of our business pipeline and potential sales.
- We hope to partner with other companies to enable us to improve our client offering – for example “PRINT” offer a psychometric tool for development of employees, and “Hoopla-HR” provide standard HR documentation, such as employee handbook, saving time in re-inventing the wheel.
- Networking: Word of mouth and referral marketing is the main form of Marketing for the business. We use BNI [British Networking Institute] and attend a breakfast networking meeting once a week. In addition, we attend Chamber of Commerce meetings held locally. I am also a member of the CIPD Anglia Committee, which is a voluntary group which organizes bi-monthly HR related talks and events.
- Social Media: As well as our own website www.humancapitaldept.com we have a company Facebook page, regularly Twitter [@hcdept], and Directors and Associates have their own up to date Linked-In profile.
- Press Relations: We have had a couple of articles published in People Management Middle East, as well as an article published in a Business Magazine in Qatar, and People Management [UK] edition. More locally wee have has a couple of press releases published in the local press [Lynn News].
- Speaker about HR at Conferences: Recently I have spoken at several conferences [ATD Conference, Dubai – 30th May 16, Get Energy MENA, Abu Dhabi – 8th Dec 15, Oil and Gas Council, London – 17th Nov 15]. This are a great way to get our name out there and position as subject matter expert.
How Inkub8 helps?
Having the Inkub8 service (or virtual office) really helps us:
- We have our telephone answered in a professional way and in our company name – we are busy providing consultancy advice to clients or talking to potential clients, so having someone to field calls and take messages really helps us and ensures we never miss an enquiry. I’m amazed when a call up small business people locally and no one answers the phone – how many enquiries are they missing out on?
- We use the prestigious Kings Lynn Innovation Centre as our office address – this is impressive.
- We can use the meeting and training rooms as needed
- We have had a lot of help and advice from our NWES Business Advisor – Sergio.
- The Inkub8 also provides a route to expansion – in time we hope to recruit an apprentice who we can train and develop, so that we can grow our business. At that point we will want to take a small office in the KLIC.
For further information, please contact us:
T: 01553 609968
Follow us on Twitter @hcdept